It’s Time to Clear Your Clutter!
How does your office look?
It’s National Clear Your Clutter Day on Saturday 11 March 2017.
You probably will not be in the office on a Saturday, but it’s a reminder that it’s always good to have a clear out from time to time.
My office was tackled last week and it feels so much better to work in. I very rarely have an untidy working environment, but there were a lot of unread magazines that I always promised to get through by having a reading day.
Who was I kidding?!
I would have needed a reading month!!! Anyway, the most recent year (yes, year!) of three magazines I subscribe to were kept, and the rest gone to recycling.
Documents that were lying on my desk that I wanted to refer to in the future were scanned on to my system for easy reference.
Next up to be tackled is the laptop. All files are in the process of being tidied up; and archived data then transferred to a hard drive. This task in itself will, in the long run, save me time as I will know where all the documents are making it easier to find in the future. After that boring, but necessary, task is completed I will then clear out the hard drive.
Take some time out, and write down the answers to these questions:
- What you do you need to declutter?
- Is your desk clear, with everything in its place?
- Is your in-tray overflowing?
- Do you have that reading bundle that you know you will never get round to?
- Does decluttering make you more productive once it’s done?
- Do you have a busy in-box, deleted items and sent items in your email system? (Pssst! Don’t tell anyone: I have OCD when it comes to my emails – they are emptied every day, if not every hour).
PS: What’s your top decluttering tip?